Tuesday, April 15, 2014

April MQG mintues

 10 members present, Business meeting 10 am 12 pm, sew day 12 pm – 1 pm
Michael Miller Fabric Challenge
Official deadline June 23rd , submit to official forum.  There is a current challenge in progress topic you can look at and upload to. We’ll look at our guild member’s pieces at the June Meeting. 8 members received their fabric. Thanks to Terry for giving her fabric to Katie!
MQG Webinars
Design Fundamentals & Starting a Business online, check the Webinar section in the forums to view in case you missed the live feed.
Meeting Ideas –What do you want from our TMQG?
I am very glad we brought this topic up. I personally have had ideas of what I want this guild to be and how I currently see it.  Everyone chimed in and was happy to have new ideas for things to occur during our meetings. The biggest topics all related to building a better “Community” between the members.  We enjoy seeing each other but know little about each other and when we leave have little to know about the next meeting. The main ideas were skill building, a bigger online presence, reaching out to more members, and charity sewing.

The group decided instead of having Sew days every month when you are unsure of people staying, we should use that time to learn something new.  The group consensus of the Improv Workshop we previously had was very successful and to continue in that fashion. Ideas brought up were free motion quilting, paper piecing, curved piecing, new binding techniques and even technological related ideas such as how to photograph your quilt or blogging.  If anyone wants to volunteer to teach the others something at a meeting, please let us know! We return to Inspire in May and do not have any skill building topics set for the meeting.

There was also a stress on a bigger online presence to inform current members and to help reach out to new members. Current members were unaware that we have a blog (http://tampamodernquiltguild.blogspot.com/) and that our personal TMQG website is under construction and never been used. The group brainstormed ideas to be put on either places such as lists of member’s personal blogs, calendar dates of meeting times and places, meeting minutes and local quilty stuff happenings. For example listing quilt shows that you can submit your work to or places to go as a group as a field trip, such as a museum or quilt show. Also adding our challenges and sewing items to the blog.  A Guild newsletter was also mentioned, and highly received. We will begin creating a format and sending these out. The blog can be directly linked to the website.
Our Flickr group was also mentioned pertaining to its little use.  Members have requested to join the group and have not heard back. We are unaware of who is in charge of the flickr group, to accept the newer members. This could also be added as a gallery or side bar to the blog and website.

There were many ideas in terms of reaching out to others.  In its simplest form, a TMQG avatar/button needs to be made so our current members can have a link on their own personal blogs to direct people to us as a group.  Ideas were mentioned to create a simple flyer to put at local quilt shops to let others learn of us, and on their websites.  Also putting flyers at local libraries if allowed. We will contact our current two locations that we hold our meetings first to add our information on their site.  There was a question of USF having a quilting group, to reach out to them to visit us. For local quilt shows, to look into getting information together to have a table/booth to show our work and members, to help gain others.  And then in the hopes of finding these new members, we need to have a ‘New Member Packet’ to give them all the information so they too will not feel lost.

Also looking at building community amongst our members, we decided to have a yard swap/sale type of event twice a year. Starting in September, then again in March, members are encouraged to bring fabric, books, patterns, and anything crafty to our meeting for a swap.  There was the question of actually selling the items or having this as a swap.  We are still a small guild, the comfort of just swapping works for now. However if we do plan to move forward with some of our larger ideas such as quilt shows or field trips, we may add prices such as 10 cents a fat quarter or the like, to help build guild funds. 

We already have our Holiday Party Swap set for July, where members will bring in a handmade item wrapped to swap. Other ideas for community building were to start sewing for each other.  Looking at the size of our group, we decided against bees and round robins as of yet.   Ellen initiated our ‘Modern Block of the Month’ for each meeting.  A member will be selected to bring in directions for a quilt block for the other members to make.  The member will pick a color scheme for the members to follow.  This will give all members the opportunity to make something during the month to bring at the following meeting.  The block information will also be posted online. (See the next post about Aprils BOM.) Members are not required to make the block. Blocks should be from a free pattern source.  The block does not have to be seen as ‘modern’ although this is where we can challenge each other! All members present were very excited about adding this to our meetings! (Yay! Glad I thought of it and brought it). Emily has chosen May, Ann has chosen June, Katie has chosen July, and Terry has chosen September.

The final item we discussed at our meeting was charity sewing.  The group feels the need to give back to the community, even if it is only a small amount.  Ideas were proposed such as ConKerr Cancer Pillowcases, Project Linus, Downy Quilts for Kids, NICU Quilts, Quilts for Kids, Easter Seals, etc.  Ellen will look up more information about these charities before the next meeting. She will bring her findings for the group to discuss and vote on a group to support.  There was also the idea to have a sew day specifically for one of the charities, such as a Pillowcase Sew Day. We could support two groups in this fashion. Having a more quilt based charity for the year and then the pillowcase sewing day.

Other small ideas that were discussed for future meetings were the topics of food! We all agreed for the July Holiday party that it should be a potluck (food to be assigned later.) There was an idea to bring our lunches to meetings so not to lose time going elsewhere.  For the moment this will be up to each person, but perhaps later we can decide on lunches in house to eat together at specific meetings. 

Another idea members had was to add an evening meeting to the month.  The idea was to have the evening meeting as the business meeting so then the sew day can be spend on all sewing! This idea appeared in favor, but will take more planning on our part. We will have to find locations that can accompany us and an evening that will work for the majority of the group.  There was an idea to have the business meeting at those houses of us who have the space.  Since it will be the business meeting, there would need to be room for people but not machines. We will also look into this for the future!

We ended the meeting with our Sew and Share!  Many people were intrigued with Terry’s ‘Add A Border’ quilt. Here is the link to the flickr group for it: https://www.flickr.com/groups/add-a-border/pool/

We hope everyone enjoyed the meeting and what we discussed!  I see some great things in our future! Let’s turn our guild into what we want it to be!
Next Meeting: May 10th, 10am, Inspire Quilt Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment